5/16/2009

BattleStar Galactica Review




At first I hated Battlestar Galactica.
It's extremely dark, and depressing. I didn't like the series at all until about episode 3,4, or 5. It is a TV science fiction series about space but what it really is about is humans under stress. Humanity is nearly destroyed, and the survivors have to make lots of important decisions and fight for their lives. And they do not know that their enemy, the human created Cylons, have infiltrated their ranks.

Not far into the pilot movie the people on a spaceship find out, after forty years of peace, that nuclear bombing has wiped out most of the colonies of their home worlds. In just one city alone there was seven million people. I was distracted that the people on the spaceship did not act like their world had been destroyed, they acted like something smaller happened, like a library had burned down. This could have been made a lot more realistic. It was the same way during other moments in the movie. There were times when the characters responses to situations were completely unbelievable. However I have only watched 6 episodes so far, and it could be different in later episodes

Another thing that disturbed me to the point were I almost quit watching was a repetitive theme, "sacrifice a few to save the group". In the pilot alone the idea was repeated at least four times.

The first time I watched the show I couldn't believe anyone would like it. Once I saw some of the later episodes, however, I understood a lot more about the situation and the characters of BattleStar Galactica. I definitely liked the pilot better the second time.

There is not necessarily a true good or evil in this story. The Cylons are machines made by humans to make life easier, but they rebelled and are trying to wipe out humanity, we do not know why. They have evolved so that they can appear in every way like humans, and also there are some infiltrators that do not at first know that they are Cylons themselves. These activate at the right time and are called Sleepers. I like to consider that the Cylons could think of us as how we think of them, a race who have no feelings, or thoughts.

The end was the best part of the Pilot, were they set out to find our planet, Earth, which they think is just a legend.

It is a deeply complicated show. It made me think about human nature. Although it is a dark series and I prefer comedy, I would give the later episodes four stars out of five.

No comments: