11/22/2008

Letters from the Great Depression (made by me)



I took these photos at the WA State History Museum.


Eleventh November, Nineteen Hundred and Thirty Six
New York City, New York
To my Dear Brother Charley,


How are you doing over there? How are the crops? I have sent you some paper so that you can write to whoever you want. How bad is the Dust Bowl?

I hope none of the cotton blew away. Mama told me that the Smith's lost their farm. Father told them not to grow corn this year, but Robert wouldn't listen. That's too bad that he had to give up his farm.

Has Mary seen the new Shirley Temple movie? I heard that it was really good. I was surprised how many people go to see the Shirley Temple movies, I suppose those movies make them forget about the hard times we are going through.

My teaching job isn't going too well,my pay has decreased a lot,and my school has become progressive. But I think I will still keep the job, because I feel lucky to be a teacher, I don't think I may be a teacher at any other school.
.It's pretty bad in New York City right now, lots of people couldn't pay their rent so they are living in Hoovervilles. But at least I am earning money, many people are unemployed!
I hope to hear from y'all soon!

From your loving brother,
Donald


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

11/26/1936


Dear Donald,

Its not very good over here eather,the cottan is blowing away,in fact the dirt is bloweing away to! The dust is in all of our lungs,its horrabile! so far its gotten John and Mary sick, but the other three aint sick yet. We are struggling by as far as food,and clean water. mom waz suprized that yuo were able too get a job as teacher since you are 16. beacase yuor only a year older thann me and i cant spell real good. our home is almost coverd up with tha duste. we misse yuo!

from Charley.
p.s. i wont be able to send or recive any letter for a while after this won. im real busy tryin too help
father


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Twentieth May, Nineteen Hundred and Forty Two
New York City, New York

To my Dear Brother,

I haven't heard from y'all for a while,is the dog still missing? Have you been in town lately? How's Dalhart?
Now that I am twenty two I have decided to join the army, I'm excited! It seems like everyone is joining the army,at least everyone I know that is old enough to go is
joining.

The school district is going to combine my class with someone else's class since only about five kids are going to school now in each class because most kids don't have enough money to go to school. That is why I am not going to teach again until the schools are fixed. Anyway, I am earning too little to be able to pay my bills and eat. A whole bunch of smart kids that were doing quite well in school have to stop going to school because they have to work with their parents on farms and go to work at factories. It's horrible that so many kids have to go without education.

I still don't understand why father won't leave the Dust Bowl. Y'all could go to California and farm people's land for money probably. You need to leave there, you're in the worst part of the Dust Bowl! What President Roosevelt is doing is good. He is putting millions of people back into work. He is even putting artists back to work!

So wish me luck! As soon as I get back from the army I'll visit you!


Love,
Donald


No comments: